Roles and Responsibilities
- Introduce & promote the SPARK! Program to school staff.
- Set up a School SPARK! Team (administrator, teacher liaison, parent, teaching artist) and schedule meetings.
- Approve yearly residency plan and budget.
- Organize or appoint someone from the School Team to spearhead the SPARK! residency.
- Assess the overall program effectiveness and provide suggestions for improvement.
- Communicate with SPARK! office concerning contracting, program evaluation, and any concerns that may arise.
SPARK! Teacher Liaison
- Be an active member of the school’s SPARK! School Working Team.
- Attend 2 or 3 SPARK! meetings per school year.
- Learn about SPARK! and be available to answer questions at the school.
- Share communications from SPARK! with school’s principal, faculty, and community.
- Share communication and feedback from the school community with SPARK!
- Assist with the planning process for SPARK! projects, enhancements, and integrations at the school.
Collaborates with the teaching artist (TA) to identify learning targets and/or school & classroom priorities.
- Provides materials, curriculum, vocabulary and other pertinent info to the TA.
- Actively participates in all residency activities with students and approaches the activity as on-site professional development.
- Reinforces and supports the arts integration learning in between artist visits, by reviewing activities, designing new activities, and discussing student experiences.
- Participates in planning meetings upon request.
- Collaborates and communicates regularly with the TA, providing positive feedback and suggestions after classroom visits.
- If appropriate, co-teach with the TA to gain practice using arts integration strategies in learning.
- Attend district PIR days in Arts Integration, when scheduled.
- Assess the overall program effectiveness and provide suggestions for future improvement (evaluation link below).
How to Schedule a SPARK! Residency
- Residency Planning form for Schools and Teaching Artists (To be filled out collaboratively at the teacher/artist planning meeting)
- 2016-17 SPARK Residency Planning Form for MCPS Schools (to be filled out by Principal and or Teacher Liaison and submitted to Director)
- Residency Evaluation Form for Classroom Teachers (To be filled out by all teachers who participated in a residency at the conclusion of the residency)
- Grade Level Curriculum Ideas (See which arts residencies other teams have experienced.)