Roles and Responsibilities
- Introduce & promote the SPARK! Program to school staff.
- Build arts integration into school goals.
- Approve yearly residency plans and budget.
- Communicate with teachers about the SPARK! residency, and partner with teachers to brainstorm ideas to extend the arts integrated learning.
- Assess the overall program effectiveness and provide suggestions for improvement.
- Communicate with SPARK! office concerning contracting, program evaluation, and any concerns that may arise.
SPARK! Teacher Liaison
- Be an active member of the school’s SPARK! School Working Team.
- Attend 2 or 3 SPARK! meetings per school year.
- Learn about SPARK! and be available to answer questions at the school.
- Share communications from SPARK! with school’s principal, faculty, and community.
- Share communication and feedback from the school community with SPARK!
- Assist with the planning process for SPARK! projects, enhancements, and integrations at the school.
- Collaborates with the teaching artist to identify learning targets and/or school & classroom priorities.
- Provides materials, curriculum, vocabulary and other pertinent info to the teaching artist.
- Actively participates in all residency activities with students and approaches the activity as on-site professional development.
- Reinforces and supports the arts integration learning in between artist visits by reviewing activities, designing new activities, and discussing student experiences.
- Participates in planning meetings upon request.
- Collaborates and communicates regularly with the teaching artist, providing positive feedback and suggestions after classroom visits.
- If appropriate, co-teach with the teaching artist to gain practice using arts integration strategies in learning.
- Attend district PIR days in Arts Integration, when scheduled.
- Assess the overall program effectiveness and provide suggestions for future improvement (evaluation link below).
Classroom Teacher Steps in a Residency
- Choose an art or content standard.
- Develop your idea with your school SPARK! Team.
- Visit the SPARK! Teaching Artist Directory linked here, Teaching Artist Directory and contact an artist.
- When you meet with a Teaching Artist please use the Pre-Residency Meeting Agenda & Notes form, linked here: Pre-Residency Meeting Agenda & Notes to guide your conversation. (This is simply a tool, you do not need to turn this in).
- Please be in communication with your teaching artist regarding scheduling, materials, etc. as the residency unfolds. Enjoy an amazing experience teaching & learning through art!
- After the Residency complete a Residency Survey/Evaluation linked here, Residency Survey/Evaluation Form